Isn’t the whole point of a wedding to celebrate your love for your partner and your new life together? How does fitting into a dress at all costs fit into this equation? In a recent New York Times article, brides-to-be are going to unhealthy measures to lose weight fast before the big day. From nasogastric tubes to the “Master Cleanse” to weight loss hormone injections, these extreme forms of restriction are all potential eating disorder triggers – which I’ve sadly seen develop in my own clients. Is damaging your body, hurting your self-esteem, and risking your health really worth it to fit into a dress? And what does it say about the doctors who help brides engage in such unhealthy behaviors?
Of course you want to look your best on your wedding day, but keep in mind you are marrying a partner who already loves and accepts you, and celebrating with family and friends who also love you for who you are (and if they don’t – they should be removed from the guest list ASAP). If pre-wedding jitters are getting the best of you, seek a therapist or close friend to share your fears and anxieties. Don’t make the focus of your wedding your weight, but rather, celebrating the love you feel for your partner and the life you plan to share together.
Schedule your complimentary consultation today
Dr. Steve Orma is a licensed CBT clinical psychologist, productivity coach, recognized mental health expert, and specialist in the treatment of anxiety, stress, and insomnia.
Get Dr. Orma’s New Book!
This 77-page essential guide to overcoming insomnia is jam-packed with scientifically proven techniques, tools, and skills for improving sleep, managing worrisome thoughts, and putting insomnia to bed for good. Preview Excerpt
Buy and download the eBook now, only from DrOrma.com
RECENT POSTS & MEDIA
- New Course: Overcome Insomnia, Reduce Worry, Improve Sleep
- MSN: Here’s When Daylight Saving Time Ends (You’re Welcome)
- Entrepreneur Magazine: How to Power Through the Day Without Any Sleep
- Daily Burn: Buh-Bye, Monday Blues: 10 Tricks to Boost Happiness
- Brides Magazine: The Perfectionist Bride’s Guide to Less Stress and More Fun
- Men’s Journal: 11 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Workout
- Women’s Health Magazine: Do you have an anxiety disorder?
- Alive Magazine: Are men and women different in how they manage stress?
- Health Magazine: The Best Time of Day to Do Everything
- WMEX Boston: Work-Life Balance and the Importance of Sleep