Does unconditional love make sense? Is it even possible?
What is love? Where does it come from?
These are the questions we explore and answer in today’s episode.
- What love is and where it comes from
- Is the love for a child unconditional?
- Making yourself lovable
- How understanding love helps you choose the right romantic partner (and avoid choosing the wrong one)
- How to avoid making deadly mistakes in dating
Today’s Success Challenge
It’s really important to understand where your emotions are coming from in response to another person.
Think about the people in your life that you love (whether romantic, family, friend, or work colleague) and ask yourself:
1) WHY do I love this person? What is it that I love about him/her? What qualities, characteristics or virtues do they possess that I respect, admire or value highly?
This is a very helpful exercise, because it makes you conscious of why you love someone and what specifically you love about them. This strengthens and heightens the feeling of love, because you know the source of the feeling.
2) If you’re dating and having feelings of love or strong like for the person, ask yourself these questions:
- What is it that I’m responding to? Is it something I actually saw, or just imagined? (name examples)
- Were there any red flags (anger, dishonesty, substance abuse problem, critical of you, ideas that rubbed you the wrong way)?
- If so, make a note of them in your mind and look out for them again. Don’t push them away, ignore them, or rationalize them.
- But also see the full picture of what you know, good and bad
Let me know how this goes for you by posting a comment below or on Twitter @DrSteveOrma
Share the Value
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help a lot to spread the word and get more exposure for the podcast.
Ask Questions or Provide Feedback
To ask questions, request episode topics or provide feedback, email me at DrOrma@DrOrma.com
Connect With Me
My indispensable sleep guide Stop Worrying & Go To Sleep
My new video course Sleep Well For Life