There are a lot of confusing messages out there about how to choose a career. Should you follow your passion? Follow the money? Or use some other standard?
In an article on Quartz online, they argue against following your passion, interests, or making money in choosing a career. Instead they urge you to “learn skills” and then “go find the biggest, most pressing social problems you can, and apply your skills to solving them.”
I break down their arguments and provide my perspective on why their approach is self-defeating and destructive to career success. Then I tell you how to choose and pursue a career in a way that maximizes fulfillment, success, and improves people’s lives.
- In choosing a career, should you please yourself or others?
- Learn why ALL professions help people
- How to remove the pressure when choosing a career
- How to choose a career 100% selfishly (to get the career you love and greatly impact others)
- Learn why passion is vital, but not enough for success, and what else is required
This episode is packed with valuable tools, tips and insights. If you want to get clear about how to choose a career, or transition into a new one, you won’t want to miss this episode!
Today’s Success Question
- What did you think about the ideas presented in today’s episode? Specifically, what do you think about choosing a career based on serving others or a social cause, versus choosing a career 100% selfishly in the way I described?
I would love to know what you think. You can leave your comments below.
- Quartz article
- TED Talk
- Mastery by Robert Greene
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love by Cal Newport
Share the Value
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help a lot to spread the word and get more exposure for the podcast.
Ask Questions or Provide Feedback
To ask questions, request episode topics, or provide feedback, email me at DrOrma@DrOrma.com
Connect With Me
Work With Me
My indispensable sleep guide Stop Worrying & Go To Sleep
My new video course Sleep Well For Life